The date for the general availability for Dynamics 365 For Talent is nearing !! The Technical Preview is out now and you can get your hands on it to realize the tremendous potential and capabilities this new app brings out of the box, to help manage the end to end Human Capital Management (HCM) and Talent management functions of your organization.
I have been evaluating this upcoming app for sometime now and I did play around the Technical Preview environment also. I would like to share some of my observations and how I think it will benefit for customers who already have subscribed to Dynamics 365 Enterprise edition and customers who are evaluating Dynamics 365 for their organization.
Note: In this post, I don’t intent to go deep into exploring features and functionality. I will do that later in future posts after General availability.
Take a quick look at the video below to get an idea of what Dynamics 365 For Talent can do for you.
Here are some of the key points.
- First thing first ! Dynamics 365 For Talent is a cloud only, true SaaS offering from Microsoft under the Dynamics 365 platform, and it focuses only on core Human Capital Management and Talent Management aspects of an organization. This app is not customizable(as you would expect in other Dynamics 365 apps such as Operations), but it is certainly extensible, to meet customer’s specific needs.
- Breaking Free from Core Finance and Operations app was a good idea: Many of us may have the question “Why a separate dedicated cloud app for HCM only, when Dynamics 365 For Operations app natively supported a fully integrated HR Module with a lot of native HCM and some talent management capabilities already?”. Well, from my perspective, it was a very bold and good move from Microsoft to break free the HCM component from within core finance and operations app, but still keep them both integrated. HCM and Talent management is key to every organization of any size and having all core HCM and Talent management functions within the Operations app was kind of limiting the scope of all the enhancements, that one can make in the HCM areas. It was also a lot of crowded core HR related sensitive employee data within the Operations app and it made customers spend time to deal with building stringent security configurations to hide these sensitive data.
- The road is now paved to innovate faster and compete with other industry leaders in cloud HCM apps: The separate app for Talent management under Dynamics 365 platform will enable organizations to subscribe and use just the Talent app and also use it in conjunction Finance and Operations, based on what the needs are. This will also enable Microsoft to make this a full fledged HCM/Talent management app by adding new innovation focused specifically on HCM and be able to compete with other industry leaders . We are already seeing the innovations with the deep LinkedIn integration for Talent attraction and onboarding.
- Best in class Talent attraction and hiring experience with LinkedIn integration out of the box: With deep integration to LinkedIn, Dynamics 365 for Talent will set itself apart and ahead of the game, when it comes to HCM and Talent Management. It is certainly poised to provide the best talent hunting and hiring experience for your organization. How many companies do you know today that does not rely on Linked to look and hunt for the best talent? So, with the deep integration with Dynamics 365, it will be your one stop shop for all aspects of attracting and retaining top talent. This will be the game changer.
- Key HCM related analytics and dashboards are readily available. Microsoft PowerBI being the backbone, Dynamics 365 For Talent also provides various prebuilt PowerBI content packs for all sort of analytics and dashboards you will expect. All out of the box!
- Extensions and Integrations: Having Dynamics 365 For Talent as a standalone app and not providing any integrations out of the box with ERP (Finance and Operations apps) will not make much sense. Come fall release later this year, we should start seeing out of the box integration of Dynamics 365 for Talent with Dynamics 365 for Operations app, where all necessary core workers related data needed for managing operations and finance will flow from Talent to Operations app. Let us stay tuned on this.
- 3rd Party Integrations: Not only integrations within Dynamics platform, but this will also make it easier to integrate with external ATS, Payroll Providers and background check providers.
- Licensing and Subscriptions: Since this is in Technical Preview now, no licensing details are out yet from Microsoft. But we should be fairly assume that Customers who have subscribed to the Enterprise Plan 2 of Dynamics 365 should get access to Dynamics 365 For Talent by default. Stay tuned for more updates on this.
- What will happen to Customers who have invested in the Core HCM functionality of HCM module in Dynamics 365 For Operations or AX 2012 R3: While we need to wait to see more details around this, it surely looks like many of the core HCM functionality will move away from Dynamics 365 For Operations to Dynamics 365 For Talent in coming releases. I believe the customers who have used the built in HCM module of Dynamics 365 For Operations should be able to migrate most/all of their data to Talent and take advantage of the integration with Operations when it comes out in the Fall or later release. Customers using the HCM module functionalities of AX 2012 R3, can take advantage of the out of the box integration with Talent, which will come out in coming months and they can move their HCM functions to Dynamics 365 For Talent. Alternately, they can continue to use the AX 2012 R3 features until they are ready to move to the Cloud fully.
Exciting times ahead for HCM and Talent Management in Dynamics 365. Customers and prospective customers, stay tuned !!